If you would like to volunteer with us please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 905-634-8645.
Our Volunteer Positions include:
Food Box Packers:
Most Tuesday mornings of the month, 25 or so volunteers come together to prepare and pack the food boxes with fresh fruits and vegetables. The Box Packers sort, weigh and fill the food boxes with the fruits and vegetables that arrive at the site that morning from local farms and wholesalers. This is a rewarding team effort for people to get involved in; all you need is a few free hours one morning a month. Snacks and coffee are served during the break.
- The first Tuesday of the month, the box packing occurs in Milton at the Bob Rumball Association for the Deaf at 7801 5 Side Road. (8:45 am – 11:30 am)
- The second Tuesday of the month, the box packing occurs in Oakville at Kerr Street Ministries at 484 Kerr Street (8:30 am to 11:45 am)
- The third Tuesday of the month, the box packing occurs in Burlington at St. Christopher’s Church at 662 Guelph Line. (8:30 am to 11:30 am)
- On the fourth Tuesday of the month, the box packing occurs in Georgetown at the Georgetown Christian Fellowship Church 13619 Hwy 7 West. (8:45 am to 11:30 am)
Food Box Office Support:
If you would like a volunteer opportunity where you get to interact with many people and do not need to lift or stretch too much then we have two opportunities for you.
These volunteer positions involve supporting our staff working in the office at St. Christopher’s Church at 662 Guelph Line, Burlington.
• Every Monday each month: Help prepare materials to be used for the food box packing event on the next day. Edit and print newsletters; pull packing supplies as needed; purchase any supplies if needed; help prepare shipping documents and supporting materials. Time commitment: 2 to 3 hours per event during office hours and completed by 4pm.
• Third Tuesday of each month: Work in the HFFB office during the box packing event at St. Christopher’s Church at 662 Guelph Line. Answer the telephones; answer inquiries from volunteers; contact drop sites re any delivery schedule issues; respond to drop sites that may experience an unforeseen issue on delivery day; prepare cheques as needed and link with Board members/staff to sign cheques as required; manage distribution of food boxes to volunteers identified by staff as in need of some assistance. Time commitment: 8:30 to 3:00 pm third Tuesday each month
Food Box Delivery Helpers and Drivers:
Want to get out and learn more about your community while meeting some great people?
Each month we deliver close to 1000 boxes to many neighbourhoods throughout Milton, Oakville, Burlington and Halton Hills. We rent cube vans to deliver the food boxes four Tuesdays a month. A two person volunteer team in each city helps load the boxes on the trucks and then off load them at the drop sites.
We are in urgent need of volunteer delivery drivers in Oakville and a driver and assistant in Halton Hills.
Time commitment: One Tuesday each month in the morning and early afternoon, approximately 4 hours per shift. It does not require a special driver’s license, just a good driving record. The position involves interacting with many people and some heavy lifting. Great way to get to know your community.
Do you love the challenge of fundraising? If you do then we would love to hear from you. The Halton Fresh Food box relies on grants, donations and fundraising to meet their core operational needs. People who love to fundraise in a variety of ways would be a real asset to our program. It can be as simple as approaching local sponsors for donations to organizing and hosting a fund raising event to writing grant proposals. Volunteers can self-select the type of fund raising they like to be involved with in conjunction with the Sustainability Committee.
Time commitment: dependent on type of fundraising and each fundraisers’ availability.
If you like talking with people then this is the volunteer job for you. This position involves responding to queries regarding the food box program. Majority of telephone calls and email queries relate to how to join the program; how it works; where their nearest drop site is located etc. This position can be done from home through calling into the Halton Fresh Food Box and picking up all messages that are general in nature and responding to the queries AND answering general email queries that are redirected to you from the staff of the food box program.
Time per week will vary due to nature of the job. Approximately 1 to 2 hours per week. Training will be provided by staff.
Pick up Site Coordinators:
Each pick up site has at least one volunteer coordinator who manages the program. This involves taking orders from customers, receiving payment for the boxes from customers, placing the box order for the pick up site and managing box pick up on the day of delivery. A great way to help your community.
As an incorporated not for profit organization, we are managed by a Board. On the Board there are directors and community advisors. Members of the Board work towards sustaining the program and oversee its operations to ensure its overall effectiveness.
Thank you for your interest and we hope to hear from you!!
If you would like to volunteer with us please contact us at: email@example.com or at 905-634-8645.